The weekly "little of this, little of that" feature at Like Mother, Like Daughter!
Admission: The advent wreath here at the Side Pocket is slightly untraditional.
It should be greenery, really. But I found those cool seed pods and had to use them! The green symbolizes growth and new life, so I pretend that seed pods have the same effect (right?).
Also... the short candles. But that is what I was able to dig up last year, and I got a few sets. It works for us and our modest purposes.
This picture is a year old, but it's fairly accurate to what things look like now.
If you'd like some resources for Advent Wreath prayers, click here.
I have a prayer intention for you this week, if you'd be so kind: the mother of a friend of mine (and faithful blog reader) recently suffered a brain aneurysm. Would you please take a moment to send up a prayer for Amy's mom and her whole family during this difficult time?
I met Amy several years ago when I was her RA in college. She was one of those residents who made my job a pleasure. Praying for you and your mom, Amy!
This week's links!
- US Citizens: if you had to take a test to determine your citizenship, would you pass? An interesting quiz, with perhaps some inspiration for topics to study in American history and civics.
- Are you concerned that paper is dying in this electronic age? Fear not: we will always have at least one use for it. A humorous watch recommended by Auntie Leila.
- Someone please write a novel or a movie based on this couple's story, because it is incredibly romantic! Wartime bomber hero celebrates 70 years of marriage to wife involved in Dambusters raid.
- Some cute, gnome-themed paper doll cutouts.
- From Apartment Therapy, 5 Completely Free Ways to Make your House a Home. Excepting the idea of opening your windows to let the breezes in, these all seem eminently doable during the holiday season!
- Have you heard about this fellow who has replicated the instrument Leonardo da Vinci once thought up, the viola organista? This is another article about him, and you can check out another video here.
- If anyone knows of any job openings in professional flash mobs, please let me know. Because things like this just look like so much fun: a "staged" version of Rembrandt's Guards of the Night.
- What would a conservative approach to art look like? This article contains some helpful thoughts on judging such a question: Illustrating Conservatism with Andrew Wyeth and Thomas Kinkade.
Happy Memorial of St. Ambrose, and mind you: the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is just around the corner on Monday!
Follow us on Twitter, where we discuss random stuff and link to (sometimes sillier or more fleeting) other things.
Like us on Facebook, where you will be advised of posts, including some from the archives that you might have missed.
Auntie Leila's Pinterest.
Auntie Leila's Ravelry